How do you develop a nonprofit social media strategy to raise money through donations?
Markitors approach to developing a nonprofit social media strategy:
The OM Foundation set off to raise $1 million to help children with disabilities live a life without limits. OM’s founder, Bonner Paddock had successfully raised funds in 2008 when he became the first to climb Mount Kilimanjaro with cerebral palsy. Now, he was setting out to become the first person to complete IRONMAN Kona with cerebral palsy in order to raise funds for the foundation. He needed a nonprofit social media strategy to help him cross the finish line.
Markitors was tasked with maximizing the exposure Bonner’s quest would receive online so that OM’s $1 million goal would be met. Markitors created the nonprofit social media strategy and executed the strategy to allow Bonner to train for this historic attempt.
The goal of the strategy was to show fans that they could live a life without limits. To drive home this message, posts, advertisements and campaigns consisted of the following:
- Daily updates of Bonner’s training progress with photos documenting the journey
- Multimedia updates showing how the foundation spends donations.
- Optimization of donation buttons to make it easy for fans to contribute
- Advertising campaigns with custom landing pages to raise awareness of Bonner’s attempt
Here were some of the highlights that resulted from the nonprofit social media strategy and Bonner’s completion of IRONMAN Kona:
- Raised more than $500,000 for the OM Foundation
- Allowed fans to feel like they were with Bonner as he trained for Ironman
- Used video content as advertisements to increase Facebook “LIKES”
- With the OM Foundation receiving $1 for every new Facebook “LIKE,” we doubled Facebook LIKES in 6 months
By creating and executing this nonprofit social media strategy, OM Foundation was able to spread their “Life Without Limits” message in a unique way while raising funds for their foundation. We encourage you to like OM Foundation on Facebook and visit the foundation’s website to contribute to Bonner’s cause.
Markitors is spelled with an “i/o” for input output. We’re an analytical digital marketing agency in Phoenix that blends marketing and auditing to help nonprofits improve their online presence. Contact us for an assessment of your nonprofit social media strategy.