What is Digital PR?
Digital PR is a SEO marketing tactic designed to optimize a brand's digital footprint.
Our simple definition is to increase brand mentions online. We accomplish this objective by strategically securing online placements through media relationships.
The difference between traditional PR and digital PR is that digital PR is purely online. Traditional PR prioritizes brand mentions in print magazines, radio interviews, and TV appearances. Digital PR devalues those opportunities if there isn't a DoFollow backlink that comes with that opportunity.
In other words, Digital PR is a service that prioritizes external backlinks, brand mentions, and brand awareness online.
What’s a day to day look like? Here it is.
- Develop deep relationships with digital influencers, content marketing managers, and website owners through email and social media platforms like Twitter & LinkedIn
- Build media lists with attentiveness to site credibility, page relevance, and site overlap
- Conduct extensive backlink audits of clients and competitors to identify placement opportunities
- Work with Director of SEO to create content once placement opportunities are secured
- Distinguish good and bad placement opportunities with the help of SEO tools like Ahrefs and Majestic
- Manage a team of freelancers to ensure client deliverables are met in Asana, our project management platform
- Monitor keyword alerts and conduct timely outreach to increase referral traffic and external links to client websites
- Evaluate and reply to HARO opportunities for timely and relevant placements
- Execute periodic digital promotion campaigns using email marketing, social media, and paid ads to reach the right influencers
- Identify and submit to profiles, directories, Wikipedia pages, and PR submission sites to increase client brand awareness
We believe Digital PR is the number one ranking determinant in Google's algorithm.
Why? Because Google values authoritative, relevant external links. And, Google says that "brand" is the hardest thing to manipulate online...which leads us to believe that Google will factor in "brand" more and more in future algorithm updates.
Digital PR directly impacts both external links and brand mentions.
Therefore, Digital PR is one of the best ways to move up in search engine rankings. It's important.
What's the method behind the magic? Well, here are some of the Digital PR initiatives and tactics we employ here.
- Relationship Building: Link Creators, Content Marketing Managers, Freelance Journalists, and Digital Influencers
- Media List Building: Site Credibility, Backlink Analysis, Site Overlap, Site Authority, Page Relevance
- Monitoring: Unlinked Mentions, HARO, Social Mentions, Competitor Mentions, New Backlinks, Brand Misspellings, Reverse Image Search, Q&A Sites
- Promotion: Social Media Ads, Email Campaigns, Internal Links, Retargeting Ads
- Analysis: Competitor Analysis, Backlink Trends, Organic Search Trends
- Links:DoFollow, NoFollow, Internal, External, Broken, Reclamation, Toxic
- Submissions: Profiles, Directories, Wikipedia
- Social: LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Slideshare, Scoop.it, Quora, Reddit
Ahrefs is our primary Digital PR tool. This tool helps us evaluate and identify opportunities online.
Other Digital PR tools include: Google Sheets, LinkedIn, Majestic, WordPress, Gmail, Mailchimp, Facebook Ads, Twitter Ads, PitchBox, Tineye, and more
Short version: this blog post about what makes a quality link highlights a lot of our best Digital PR practices.
Practically, our Digital PR best practice is simple: do what you feel comfortable doing for a site you own and operate.
Education is a big part of our employee development programs at Markitors. There are a few areas on the web where you can go to learn about advanced Digital PR.
- Google Patents
- The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine
- Read anything about link building strategies
- Traffic Think Tank
We also try to stay up to date by reading these outlets: Google Webmaster Central Blog, Google Research Blog, Google’s Blog, Bing Search Blog, Moz’s Blog, Search Engine Round Table, Search Engine Journal, The SEM Post, SEMrush Blog, Search Engine Land, SEO Skeptic by Aaron Bradley, SEO by the Sea by Bill Slawski, Deep Crawl’s Webmaster Hangout Notes, Merkle’s Digital Marketing Reports
Trust, Content, and Participation.
We've built up the brand presence and site authorities for many different clients before. The engagements that work the best are the ones that trust us to evaluate opportunities, and act accordingly.
That, and content. Lots of great content and stories that other sites would take an interest in. That certainly makes the job of pitching media outlets much more successful.
Plus, participation. Digital PR sometimes has small windows of opportunity where we'll need a quote for an outlet, or a questionnaire to be filled out. Clients who actively participate in our Digital PR campaigns are often times the most successful.
Our Founding Team
Markitors is a digital marketing startup located in the heart of Old Town Scottsdale. We connect small businesses with customers...and have a great time doing it. If you Google "digital marketing company," you'll find Markitors on the 1st page of search results. We know our stuff, and nothing makes us happier than moving small businesses forward.