You’ve been there before: You have a beautiful photo, an attention-grabbing caption, and the perfect set of hashtags. But, as they say, timing is everything, especially if you want to maximize your reach. Wondering what the best time to post on Instagram is? Let’s dive in!
There are many articles out there that contradict each other regarding the best time to post on Instagram. Some say to avoid the weekends when most users are out and about, while others believe that weekends are the best time to post. Most sources do coincide on:
- Posting around 12:00 pm, when most users are taking their lunch break
- Posting after 5:00 pm, when most users are out of work
Although this is somewhat accurate, optimal posting time can vary depending on YOUR audience. Every audience is unique, which is why they will be active at different times of the day or night depending on their time zone.
So, to keep it simple, I recommend using a tool provided by Instagram itself: Instagram Insights. Instagram Insights is a free tool that everyone interested in growing their audience should take advantage of.
What Do I Need to Access Insights?
Anyone can have access to Instagram Insights by converting your account to a business account. Here’s some more information on Insights:
- You don’t need to own a business or company to switch to a business account
- There’s no minimum amount of followers required
- Instagram does require a minimum of 100 followers to be able to provide audience demographic data
- Once you switch to a business profile, it will take a few days for Instagram to gather numbers and information on your audience. You’ll need to post a couple of times so Instagram can be able to generate this data
- Data will be provided only on posts and stories shared after switching to a business profile
All Set? Here’s How To Access Insights
Once you’ve switched to a business profile, this is how you can access Insights:
- Go to your profile
- Click on the menu on the upper right corner of your screen
- Tap on Insights
- To find information on the best time to post on Instagram, tap on “Audience”
- Scroll down to “Followers”
- Filter by “Days” or “Hours”
If you’re curious to see specific numbers for each day or time segment, simply tap on the blue bars to learn more:
Understanding Your Audience
Now that you know when the best time to post on Instagram is, you can also take advantage of other valuable insights Instagram has to offer.
Instagram’s analytics tool also helps you understand your audience and identify your top performing content with data such as reach, impressions, engagement, top audience locations, and demographics such as age range and gender—all in the same place!
You might also be interested in these articles: